Thursday, March 31, 2005

On The Road Again

Evidentally I've gotten across to the preschool speech therapist that I'm serious about Alex's therapies. She wrote me a note today and put it in Alex's backpack to take home. You have to understand that for six weeks into this program, he's not had any one-on-one therapy and no progress reports of any kind. She said she worked with him today on his oral motor skills one-on-one and also in a group setting. She described everything she did with him so that I could continue with him at home. Who knew a lollipop was such a wonderful tool for oral motor therapy!? She is trying to get him to have more of an awareness of his oral structures. This will aid in his speech and language development. I'm glad that's he's finally getting this type of therapy, but he's suppose to be getting SPEECH (articulation) therapy as well, which he is not getting. So, at this point it looks like we need to continue pursuing private therapy. I would love for Alex to continue going to the developmental preschool and have one-on-one private speech therapy a couple of times a week as well. The developmental behavorial pediatric's office that I visited the other day (the one that's closing) called me and recommended a developmental clinic for us to go for Alex's diagnosis and treatment. They actually do therapies there at the center. If they could get us insurance coverage with a diagnosis, we could get private therapies there and Alex could stay in his preschool as well. Only thing is it's almost an hour away, but we'll do what we have to do. I called to schedule an appointment and had to leave my personal information about Alex so they could mail us an information packet to fill out that we bring with us to our first appointment. I feel like we're back "on the road again" in the right direction! Beware brick walls! I'm encouraged today, and I'm feeling a little more confident about what I'm already doing at home with Alex. We'll get there...

No comments: