Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Lost

I think this developmental preschool class is good for Alex, and I feel confident now in taking him there. But, for some reason I can't get past the feeling that he probably isn't getting APPROPRIATE therapies for a child with apraxia. I'm not a speech therapist though, but I have been educating myself, and I trust my instincts. From all my research on apraxia, I've read that "Children with apraxia reportedly do not progress well in their actual speech production with therapy tailored for other articulation problems or with language stimulation approaches. What experienced therapists and families report is that children with apraxia need frequent one-on-one therapy and lots of repetition of sounds, sound sequences, and movement patterns in order to incorporate them and make them automatic." Now, I've sat in on a class before when the speech therapist was working with the children as a group, and I don't know how her particular style would have benefitted Alex's specific speech disorder. I've not seen her working with Alex one-on-one though... and again I won't get any kind of report card until Alex has been there for six weeks. We're now on our fourth week with spring break next week. Maybe I'll have something soon. I hate not knowing what's going on with his therapies. It makes me quite a bit more motivated to do more therapies on my own with him at home. Right now I'm working with Alex on a few signs for words he can already say, and signs that his first speech therapist introduced to him that he hasn't used in a while. Once he gets the hang of it well, we'll start working on signs for words he would use often, but cannot say. His former speech therapist really worked him hard. They were so good together. She always told me not to try to be his speech therapist... to just be his mom. But, she gave me some great ideas on how to incorporate his therapies into easy, fun, every-day activities. I knew that even where I may fail at home, she knew what she was doing, and she was knowledgeable on how to provide appropriate therapy for his disorder. I feel lost now.

No comments: