Wednesday, March 30, 2005

ESY for Summer

I cannot believe it was as easy as talking to the right person. I shared my concerns with Alex's new speech therapist about the extended school year (ESY) during the summer yesterday as we talked on the phone. As I have mentioned before, I have gotten a "no way" all the way about getting Alex ESY services this summer, but I hadn't talked to the speech therapist about it until yesterday. When I picked Alex up from school just now his speech therapist was there and she said she checked on ESY for Alex and there should be no problem with him getting therapy during the summer since she now gave him a referral. She said he may even be able to go to their preschool program in addition to getting therapy. WOW! I asked her what I needed to do at this point, and she said she would take care of everything. I was so exhausted over this whole thing, but I'm so glad I kept pursuing it. I mean, if I don't fight for Alex, who will? Maybe we've just gotten off to a rough start. Hopefully this will be a turning point for us to get going in the right direction for Alex's therapies. There's still so many decisions to make and this journey isn't easy. I wasn't prepared for this as a parent. Nonetheless, I feel so blessed to be mom to such a precious child as Alex.

No comments: