Monday, March 28, 2005

The Boy Who Ate Words

There's actually a book out there with this title. I'll have to get my hands on it since it sounds so much like Alex. He's always struggled with "losing" his words. It's hard to tell what words Alex can say since it could change daily. A word he could say today, might be a struggle for him tomorrow. If someone asked me how many words he had in his vocabulary, I wouldn't even know what to tell them! But, writing some of them down from time to time is encouraging to me that he is "talking". I've been trying to make a list in the last day or so of the things that Alex has been saying, either repeated or spontaneous. I'm noticing more spontaneous speech, and some two-word phrases. I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. He still has a very "apraxic" approach to his words, such as saying the first consonant and vowel and leaving off the ending sounds, or starting with the last consonant and going backwards, but he's trying so hard to communicate. Take a look at this list from just over a day...

"go" -- "bee" -- "cah" (cat) -- "goh" (dog) -- "eeee" (eat) -- "peas" (please)
"ank ewe" (thank you) -- "yay" -- "uh oh" -- "baby" -- "pee-pee" (potty)
"tickey" (sticky) -- "baba" (mama) -- "bow-bow" (rainbow)
"eye woo-woo" (hi train) -- "uh-huh" and "yeah" (yes) --
"uh-uh" and "wo" (no) -- "bow bidge" (broke bridge)
"bye bubb" (bye bubbles) -- "bye wa-wa" (bye water)
"boo eeh" (blue egg) -- "reh" (red) "boo" (blue) "gee" (green)

No comments: