Sunday, March 13, 2005

Early Intervention Discharge Summary

I finally received a copy of Alex's discharge summary from Early Intervention. It noted that all of the social skills goals we had set for Alex had been met, and he was no longer showing a delay in this area. Wow! One of my biggest concerns in the beginning of all this was how he would separate from me as he had severe separation anxiety when we first started the Early Intervention center-based program. That is a thing of the past! It stated that he still needs 'a LOT' of help in the area of communication, with recommendations to continue speech therapy and routine medical follow up. They noted that he had begun to show some delay in adaptive skills during the time he was receiving services. He actually had enough delay in this area from the very first evaluation they did to qualify for services, but I didn't feel the need to explore therapies for this area just yet. Considering how far behind he is in his speech, being able to put on and take off a coat by himself just doesn't seem like too big of a problem. She recommended that I call her to find out information about STEP classes that I should attend. I have no idea what this is, but I guess I'll find out soon...

No comments: