Thursday, March 03, 2005

::sigh::

I'm feeling a little down after picking Alex up today from preschool. According to his teachers, he's being distant, and not involved in his therapies. The speech therapist said some days he's interested, and other days he just sits there and looks at her, and she gets nothing from him. It seems like it's going to take a while for him to "warm up" to them. This place, and all these people are new to him. It's going to take some getting use to. I guess I'm just sad that they haven't seen the precious little boy that I know and love so much... YET. I hope eventually they can see how truly bright and special he is. I really hope this preschool helps him and it's not just something to "do". Other than a progress report that Alex will bring home every six weeks, I won't be hearing anything from the speech therapist about what therapies he's receiving and when, or suggestions on how to continue helping him at home. That's a little discouraging. I guess I'm spoiled by our last ST who met with me every day that I picked up Alex or sent a note home, along with daily "homework" projects. One comment that she made to me on her last day with Alex was that all speech therapists bring something different to the "table" for each child. I've continued to have high hopes with each new teacher/therapist, and then be let down by Alex's continued slow progress. This time I feel quite differently... a little too discouraged a little too soon. Alex was doing so good with the speech therapist he had with Early Intervention... now I feel like we're back at square one again. ::sigh::

No comments: