Monday, April 04, 2005

EFA's

I'm excited we got our "stinky fish oils" from FedEx today. We purchased our ProEFA, an Essential Fatty Acid supplement, at NordicNaturals.com. It has documented successes with many apraxic children. We're going to give it a try. Today Alex had his first supplement straight from the spoon. He didn't even make a "face". It had a nice lemon fragrance, much to my surprise. I was expecting it to be fishy. I don't know what to expect or when, but I'm hoping like many other families, we see progress soon.

Nordic Naturals' ProEFA is an Omega-3 (from fish oil) and Omega-6 (from organic Borage oil) combination. Each 1000 mg soft gel capsule provides EPA, DHA, and GLA, which are important for proper cell signaling and membrane flexibility.
"Anectodal reports have been dramatic and strongly suggest that LCP [long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid] supplementation - combined with speech therapy - could become the treatment of choice in disorders such as apraxia." - Marilyn C. Agin, M.D., Lisa F. Geng, and Malcolm J Nicoll, “The Late Talker: What to Do If Your Child Isn't Talking Yet”, pages 118-119, Chapter 8: Alternative Strategies: Nutritional Intervention.

Here is a picture of the bottle and capsule. We just snip the end and squeeze the liquid out. Alex will take one a day and I ordered a 3-months supply to get us started.



Order at NordicNaturals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested to know how Alex is going with the omega 3 and 6 as I have just started my son on it too. He is 8 with verbal dyspraxia and he is taking liquid lime flavoured Efalex (2 lots of 5ml a day). He's been so good taking it and even reminds me about it,....we call it his 'super power juice'.
I will be keeping a chart of his progress or any changes I notice whilst taking the Efalex. Good luck!