Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Developmental Evaluation Status

I got the letter from the center where Alex was referred for an evaluation, and lots of papers to fill out about his history of development. I have to send them back to be reviewed along with a referral from his pediatrician and reports of his hearing evaluations before they will even schedule him an appointment. I suppose I'll continue to pursue this avenue (even though the SLP will help me pursue insurance coverage without further diagnosis), just because I would like to know if there are any other underlying issues to Alex's disorder, that the speech therapist could be missing, such as sensory integration dysfunction or hypontonia, etc. And, if the insurance company denies the first claim from the SLP, we'll already be one step ahead of the game. There are so many steps to this process, and it looks like it may take a while for things to happen. It can get overwhelming, but we'll take a day at a time. I'll stop tomorrow at the ENT's office to sign a medical release form and then I'll have to pick up copies of Alex's records next week. I hope getting the referral from the pediatrician is as simple as having them fax it to the developmental center. I called the insurance company to confirm that the center was covered, and it is. I also had a local parent of an apraxic child to recommend a particular doctor in this practice. God is definitely opening doors...

No comments: