Wednesday, April 06, 2005

SLP & Insurance Matters

I called the speech therapist (SLP) today who use to work with Alex in Early Intervention. She's just the nicest person you'll ever meet and she is so willing to help in any way that she can. She is the one who diagnosed Alex with verbal apraxia. She was so sorry when I told her that Alex wasn't getting therapy in the school system like he should be. I've been told that we may not need a neurologist or developmental pediatrician to diagnose Alex to get insurance coverage. The SLP can file, and with the right terminology and codes, it might just work! So, we'll start here. She said she'd be happy to help us get everything ready to be presented to the insurance company. She's an angel. I thank God for putting her in our lives. I mentioned to her the book I've been reading, "The Late Talker" (see previous entry with same name for more information, archives March 26, 2005) and she said she had never read it but that several of her patient's moms have mentioned it to her before. She said she would consider it helpful if I would provide her with information from this book to write the insurance company. It includes the diagnostic codes needed and even a sample letter to the insurance company for coverage. So, I'm off to do my "homework". Let's pray that it works!

No comments: