Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Insurance Claim for Private Therapy

I stopped by today to see Alex's former speech therapist, Ms. Jane, the one that diagnosed his verbal apraxia. She had Alex's claim ready for the insurance company and wanted me to review it. Everything looked good and I was pleased. She stated that his diagnosis was neurological in origin and not developmental and that it required intensive treatment or his prognosis for ever speaking would be poor. Her diagnosis stated Alex had verbal and oral apraxia. She is asking for three months of one-on-one therapy twice a week, and after three months we'll try submitting the claim again for three more months, and so on. It may take a while for everything to fall into place, so Ms. Jane offered to do private therapy with him once a week for 30-40 minutes "off the books" until we can get something in place for Alex. I could not be happier. I just hugged her and thanked her over and over. She will see him every Wednesday just after preschool starting next week. I know Alex will be so happy to see her! So will I. She has been the most positive helpful person we've met on this journey. I cannot express enough how thankful I am to have her in our lives. I am so encouraged today!

No comments: