Monday, April 18, 2005

EFA Update - Day 14

It is two weeks into supplementing with ProEFA (essential fatty acids) from Nordic Naturals. I can defnitely say there have been no "instant" results. However, there have been times, especially in the past week where Alex has definitely shown improvement. Alex's speech ability has always come in "spurts". At this point there's not been enough improvement to tell if this is just another spurt or it is really contributed to the supplements. It would be wishful thinking at this point to say the supplements were helping. Either way, I've been so blessed to hear my little boy attempting to talk just a little bit more. Just today as he was playing with stickers, he put one on my shirt of a cat. He then pulled off another cat sticker and said "wuh cah" (one cat). As he placed it on my shirt next to the other, he struggled to hold up two fingers, and said "ewe" (two). This is really the most dramatic example, but I remember just the other day he asked my husband to "coo be" (excuse me) as he passed him in the hallway. He said "bih tuh" (big truck) as we passed a semi while driving yesterday. Just for him to be using two words together again is encouraging. I realize that we have a long way to go and that most of what he says is only intelligible to me, but I'm still hopeful that things will improve for Alex soon. We will definitely continue supplementing, and I will continue to update if and when we have any progress to share. From my research there have been many children who still do have success with the supplements even if they show little to no progress in the beginning weeks. So, we are still hopeful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. On day 2 of Pro-efa I remember my son saying T-bo from a KIX box. That was major. I didn't even know who Clifford was!! It improved from there. dms

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. On day 2 of Pro-efa I remember my son saying T-bo from a KIX box. That was major. I didn't even know who Clifford was!! It improved from there. dms