Friday, May 20, 2005

Making Progress

Wednesday was Alex's last day of preschool for this school year. I'm not sure he understood when I tried to explain it to him. He will be getting ESY (extended school year) services through the summer which starts June 7th. We'll be out of town the first week though, so he'll start the following week. He'll also continue to get speech therapy once a week for 30 minutes with our former Early Intervention speech therapist who is so kindly seeing us "off the books". I don't know how long that will last (hopefully our insurance will step in soon and cover the cost of private speech therapy), but she is just an angel. She is encouraged, as am I, at the progress we can see Alex making. She says he is making better eye contact with her upon request and that he is sitting still and participating well in his therapy sessions. This is one reason why I am so glad that we went ahead and put Alex in the preschool program. I can really see how it has benefitted him to be in a classroom setting where he receives structured learning. I've been making a notebook at home to keep all of our activities in from the Easy Does It Apraxia - Preschool therapy books we're using. I took it with me to his therapy session Wednesday and offered the therapist to use any of the activities we had already prepared. She was very impressed and told me that she thinks I would be a great preschool teacher or speech therapist, as she has said before. Actually, Alex's own special education teacher and school system speech therapist commented to me the same thing at his IEP meeting last week. Wow. Maybe that is something I will consider in the future, but for now, it's all about being the best teacher I can be for Alex. Today during "homeschool" Alex wrote his name at the top of his paper. I am so proud of my boy.

No comments: