Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Apraxia Awareness Article

I was thrilled to find copies today at the library of the local parent magazine I submitted an article to about apraxia. Right there on the cover in bold letters was APRAXIA followed by the popular quote "Not being able to speak is not the same as not having anything to say." It's funny, but as I read my own words about my personal experience as a parent of a child with apraxia, tears just welled up in my eyes, partly because I'm hopeful that knowledge of this disorder can empower other parents, and partly because in some strange way it was theraputic for me to share my feelings with others. The month of May is dedicated to Better Hearing and Speech Month, to raise awareness of the many hearing and speech disorders and conditions that affects millions. I feel I've taken the first step to share the knowledge I have about the journey we're on, and it's a great feeling to know it could benefit someone on theirs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Susan! Congratulations! Can you share the article with me? I'd love to read it.

Darcy said...

Congratulations on your first pulblication! :) You need to post the article or link to a page you can share the article with us!!! Way to go Susuan!

Susan said...

I would LOVE to share the article, but I'm sorry to say that the magazine is not posted online! I can copy and paste the article into an email for anyone who would like to read it.

Kari said...

can you please send me the article. i am 15 and also have apraxia. i love how apraxia is becoming so more well known, several people have thought i have autism, but i am exactly going the the second best school in my state and 46th in the country, i also took the same test as everyone also and had nothing special such as extra time or nothing. i was also in advanced 5 grade reading when i was in 4 grade, it was offered again the following year to take 6 grade reading in 5 grade but i chose bot too, i prefered being with my grade and friends. thanks again.