Tuesday, May 03, 2005

IEP, ESY, Speech Evaluation

I got an invitation to Alex's IEP meeting today. It is scheduled for May 10th. We'll be reviewing and updating his goals and adding speech therapy services. I am so thankful that Alex will be able to attend the developmental preschool AND get individual speech therapy twice a week for 30 minutes as well from the school system. We'll also add that Alex will be able to attend the ESY (extended school year) program for the summer which is two days per week for two and a half hours, for six weeks. I really have no idea what to expect from the summer program, or what they do to continue reaching his IEP goals.

I also received a call today from the center where Alex's speech will be evaluated for further confirmation of his apraxia diagnosis so we can seek insurance coverage for any private therapies. His appointment is June 16th and the evaluation will take from two to three hours. I'm sure in the meantime I'll think of a thousand questions to ask them... never mind all the questions they'll ask ME!

I'm really hoping to have everything in place by next school year so we'll really have a good plan of education for Alex. I didn't realize that I had to get a separate referral from the pediatrician for an occupational therapy evaluation, but I'm hoping to get this done this summer at the same center as well, due to his sensory and motor issues. If they feel he needs OT, then we can integrate that into his IEP for the Fall. There are just seven more days left in this school year! In the meantime, we're using "Easy Does It for Apraxia Preschool" about three times or more per week. It really seems to keep Alex's attention, but we really have to make the activities fun and interactive and I pick and choose the ones I feel are most appropriate for him. I think having Sarah join in really encourages Alex and it's a great way to get him accustomed to turn-taking. He is very active in what we do at home. He attempts just about every sound or word. I continue to praise his efforts, no matter the outcome. His progress continues to go in spurts. I'm not hearing as many two word phrases lately, but I'm thrilled to hear my boy calling me "Mama!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I found your story just because I was search info on Apraxi for a research study, but I also work with a little boy as his personal aide in our school and he is so lost I was wondering if you had any info/guidance for me. He has parents that dont care and just make him liv by the TV and video games. My email is cjflys_2@yahoo.com

THanks
Chelsey