Monday, August 15, 2005

Insurance Struggles (Continued...)

We decided to continue taking Alex to therapy during the course of pursuing insurance coverage. We have come so far and it just doesn't feel right in my heart to pull him out NOW. In the meantime, the bills are adding up. I've talked with sooooo many people in the last week concerning our insurance challenges. Everyone seems very willing to help, but our chance for insurance coverage does not look good. We will be filing a grievance with the insurance company to cover the cost of the speech evaluation. The hospital will be appealing for insurance coverage for therapy. I was told today that our particular insurance company has been one of the hardest to work with concerning speech therapy services, so I really don't know what to expect. I have disected our benefits plan over and over and do not feel like it is clear as to whether his disorder is a covered benefit or not. I believe the key here is convincing the insurance company that his treatment is medically necessary and that he has a neurological disorder, NOT a developmental delay. We are at least going to give it a real good try, and then again if we have to. God help us, because we can do nothing without Your hand in all of this.

One thing I am very thankful for at this point in our journey is that I feel my husband and I are finally on the same page when it comes to the care Alex's needs for his disorder. He's helping me with the process and supporting my efforts. I couldn't have gotten this far without him. I'm just so emotionally exhausted right now over the whole insurance thing. It feels so good not to feel so alone anymore.

Alex is making some noticeable progress with his speech therapist I am happy to say. If nothing else, that makes this all worth it. One of his biggest challenges with apraxia has been leaving off sounds in words, particularly ending sounds. He is now able to say "pu-sh, u-p, hel-p" and he's really coming along nicely with the /t/ sound, such as in "ea-t" and "ou-t." That one, and /d/ are really a challenge for him, but he's trying so hard. I am so proud of how willingly Alex participates during his therapy sessions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I made my way here via the Apraxia Webring. I write the Genetics and Public Health Blog and feature a blog each week written by someone who is documenting their experience with a specific disease/disorder. I'm impressed with how open you are about Alex's apraxia and think that my readers could learn a lot from you. Would you allow me to feature your blog?

You can see previously featured blogs here.

If it's ok, can you e-mail me at hsienlei AT yahoo DOT com?

Thanks and all the best.