Tuesday, August 23, 2005

First Impressions are Lasting Impressions

As we were writing up Alex's IEP (Individualized Education Plan) back in the spring, I insisted he receive more individual speech therapy than what he was getting in a group setting at preschool. The speech therapist there has more kids than she has time and I felt Alex was not getting enough therapy. So, they set up speech therapy visits twice a week for 30 minutes (outside the classroom), in addition to his developmental preschool. At the time I was satisfied with that, and I knew that we could always fall back on it if our insurance didn't come through for us to get Alex private therapy. Several months and a severe apraxia diagnosis later, we're still in the midst of struggling with the insurance company who denies benefits. I wasn't sure if I wanted Alex to even go on to see the school system's therapist, but I thought it couldn't hurt him and if we couldn't afford to keep going for private therapy, he would already be in a routine with the school system's therapist.

Monday was our first day to Debbie, or "beh-bee" as Alex calls her. Let me just say that I honestly do not even want to ever take Alex back. My first impression of her just in the 30 minutes we were there was not good at all. First of all, she was totally unorganized, and she lacked control over the environment and with Alex. I was trying to discuss his diagnosis and history of therapy and she was uninterested in anything I had to say. She continued interrupting me and never made eye contact. I didn't like the tone of voice or the mannerisms she used with Alex. Even the building in which the therapy was located was in a rough part of town that made me feel very uncomfortable. Honestly, I felt I could do better therapy at home with Alex. I know him best and I'm learning what helps him in his therapies. We learned today that this so-called therapist is not really a therapist at all. She is not even a licensed speech pathologist, but simply a special education teacher. I was aware that she knew nothing about treating apraxia, but I was prepared to introduce her to my research and hope that something she had to offer Alex may help him along the way. I'm thinking going to see her would be a total waste of our time. We have enough on our plate as it is.

Alex's first day of developmental preschool is suppose to be Thursday, but we have an appointment that morning for his private therapy. He'll go to school on Friday. Each day as we drop Sarah off at Kindergarten, he cries for her and then goes on to whine about wanting to go to HIS school. He's excited about starting school again. I am too. I can't wait for his teachers to see how much progress he's made this summer. It's amazing to me just how far he's come in the short time he's been getting private therapy. I am so thankful for that, and look forward to what this next school year will do for Alex!

No comments: