Friday, February 11, 2005

Alex in Wonderland

I'm at home all day today and keep thinking of things to write in here. Alex is sick with a small fever and volunteered to take a nap. (gasp) I was sitting here thinking about a friend of the family who commented about Alex's behavior the other day. He called him "Alex in Wonderland". I wasn't sure how to respond, so I just kind of laughed and brushed it off. He does often seem to be in his own little "wonderland". I looked up the definition of the word just now and this is what I got... "a place of great beauty or wonder". Yeah, I can live with that. His life is beautiful to me. He sure keeps me wondering too! I wonder what he's thinking about when he can hear and understand everything around him, but he cannot communicate back to us through words. I know he wants to. He can use a few small signs and I'm beginning to understand a few words like "eee" means eat, "coe" means cold, etc. It's always the consonant sound followed only by the first vowel sound in the word. B's are often substituted, such as he can say "M" as in the alphabet, and sound out the "Mmmmmm" sound, but he cannot put the sounds together to say "Mama"... he substitutes with B, so it's "Baba". I'm very sad that my baby can't call me Mama. He doesn't even CALL me "baba"... it's just what comes out when I try to get him to say Mama. His new special education teacher told me yesterday (very nicely) not to over react... it isn't that uncommon for a three year old not to be able to talk. I don't think I can accept that right now. Something keeps bringing me back to the fact that he was calling me "mama" at just 7 months of age. What REALLY happened to my little (affectionately) Alex in Wonderland? (sigh)

No comments: