Thursday, June 02, 2005

Helpless

I do the best I can daily to help Alex communicate to us, and to understand what he is communicating. It's a way of life for us now. It's so automatic, I often don't have to think about it. But, sometimes it just hits me like a ton of bricks, and my heart just wells up with so many feelings. Tears come to my eyes, just as they did today as Alex spoke not one intelligible word to me as he tried to communicate his needs. I want to know what my sweet boy is saying to me. I want him to know that what he has to say is important to me, and that I'm trying my very best for him. I feel so helpless sometimes. As a mother, that is such a terrifying feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan, sending you big (((hugs))). I wish we lived closer so I could give them to you in person. I know how tough those days are.