Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Diagnosis: APRAXIA

We've been waiting for this call for almost a week since Alex's evaluation, but waiting much longer for this diagnosis. I'm relieved in way to have finally received an official diagnosis for Alex of Apraxia, from a nationally known children's hospital specializing in speech and hearing. Yet my heart can't help but feel heavy at the news confirming my fears all along. I'll share more about the report when I receive the paperwork by mail. She just went over a few things with me by phone, and put Alex in the severe apraxic category. We'll begin the process of getting insurance coverage for therapy... and more importantly the RIGHT KIND of therapy for a child with apraxia. We're leaving for the sunny state of Florida tomorrow for vacation, and it couldn't come at a better time. We'll pick back up where we left off on this journey when we return...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

please go to www.speechnutrients.com. There is a new product available for children with speech difficulties.
More info is also available at www.speechtrial.com. There is also a focus group that the company is looking for participants.