Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas Is Upon Us

The kids are enjoying their break from school so far. Alex will begin a short break from therapy during the holidays as well until after the new year, as we enjoy celebrating with family and traveling a bit. Alex is always so cooperative when I work with him on his speech in our every day setting. I almost feel he's getting bits and pieces of therapy all day even without sitting down and having a game plan, so I shouldn't be so worried about a break in therapy, right? He's on such a roll right now and having a terrific spurt in his speech that I just hope a break won't interrupt that.

Today we did a great activity with our Easy Does It for Apraxia - Preschool materials. I took a picture of a postal mailbox and glued it to a piece of paper around the edges so that it formed sort of a pocket. We cut the door so that it opened and we could slide "mail" inside. We used small rectangular shaped green and red paper (Alex's Christmas cards to his friends, ha) and glued "stamps" on each one, practicing "pu-t on" and "pu-sh". When the letters were all ready to send, we would practice saying "o-pe-n" and "pu-t in" or "go in m-ail". Alex did so well and he loved this activity.

I look forward to enjoying the kids opening their gifts, three each, representing the gifts given to Jesus by the three wise men. This year both of the kids are really into books, so they both got books, board games that are age appropriate, and each will get a toy. Alex will get something Thomas the Train, of course, and Sarah will get something Barbie princess. I am hosting my family's Christmas this year, complete with a birthday cake for Jesus. The kids are going to love it! I have very much enjoyed the Christmas season this year. I can't believe Christmas is already upon us! Merry Christmas! I look forward to sharing the progress Alex will make in the new year!

8 comments:

heiresschild said...

hi susan,

i saw your post on skatermom/kelly's blogsite and followed your link thru your name over here. i was wondering what apraxia is; i've never heard of it before. your site has been informative. thank you.

i like how you have the soft music playing on your blogsite. how is that done? i'd like to have that on my site also.

i will keep you and your family in my prayers.

sylvia

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan, I am sending you my thoughts and prayers as your family goes through the joys and accomplishments of apraxia. My Grandaughter can now say "Nana-Nana" and that is the greatest gift a Grandmother can be given from a little one struggling so hard to say the words. I seen the magnet the other day that the Apraxia Foundation has out "Every child deserves a voice.." Keep up all the hard work you and Alex are doing, Alex is very blessed to have a wonerful family!!

Sending lot of hugs your way!! :)
Peg
(skatermom221's Mom)

Anonymous said...

P.S.
I will be stopping by your journal from time to time to see how the days are going with Alex. Keep us all updated on his progress and know that lots of us are supporting you in your loving care and day to day tasks with Alex.

Sending you many prayers of hope for each day to be days full of joy,wonder, and hope!! :)

Peg aka Pennys from Heaven

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan and Alex..

Just stopping by to say Hello and keep up the great work! Looking forward to an update on Alex. Today my Grandaughter..who is trying to become a skateboarder like her big brother said in skater terms "me ollie". I miss not living closer to be there when hurdles are crossed, but enjoy the updates.
Take care,
Peg

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! Just stopping by to see how progress is going for Alex! Hope all is well. I tried to send an email to the aol address listed, but it keeps bouncing back. May want to let AOL know...incase there is a problem w/the aol side. I will keep in touch, and wishing you well!!
Peg

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! I was so happy to hear from you! Sounds like things are very hectic for you right now. Take care, and know that best wishes are in prayers for you and your family.
Peg

Anonymous said...

Just me again! I forgot to let you know, it might be a different blog site bouncing back...I am still so new to this and still figuring out what buttons to click on and what envelopes to open etc etc. Technology!! But I am getting there!! Wishing you and your little ones a wonderful weekend! I will check back in a week or so!
Peg

heiresschild said...

hi susan,

i just wanted you to know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. have a great rest-of-the week. we're having extremely cold and windy weather here in maryland.

sylvia