Wednesday, July 27, 2005

..Hopeful.. Excited ..Confident..

We met our new and hopefully final therapist on Monday. She is young and very sweet, but most importantly very knowledgeable about apraxia. We had a great session. Alex worked very hard. I'm excited to say that we'll be working out plans so that she can see him twice a week. Alex's IEP is set up so that he attends preschool four days per week. Since we are going to be going to Vanderbilt twice a week, we'll probably cut back on one day of preschool. I'm also considering if we should decline the additional small group therapy they offered us twice a week for 30 minutes through the school system, outside of his preschool classroom time. I'm afraid it all may be too much for Alex. Before last school year ended in the spring I was struggling with the fact he wasn't getting enough therapy. I can hardly believe that just several months later we're actually considering declining services. I'm confident that he will be getting appropriate therapy in a private setting more so than he will in the school system. He loves his preschool and it has helped him so much in other ways such as with his independent, social and motor skills, so we will definitely keep him enrolled for the Fall. Just a couple of more weeks until school starts! I'm hopeful and excited about what's going to happen for Alex in the coming year and I'm feeling more confident that we're finally on the right path.

No comments: